Trouw Nutrition, a Nutreco company, has the mission to feed the future. In a world with limited natural resources, their ambition is to meet the rising food needs of a growing world population in a sustainable manner.
The Innovation organization of Trouw Nutrition plays a key role in fulfilling this mission. It drives the development and commercialization of innovative feed technologies and unique digital solutions. The solutions are designed to sustainably optimize animal nutrition and animal health through all life stages.
The Smart Farming team is part of the Innovation organization. The team develops, commercializes and maintains the precision farming solution, NutriOpt. NutriOpt is a new way of working, and the solution deploys expert knowledge on nutrition into a digital platform fully integrated into customers’ business processes. NutriOpt works in partnership with farmers and the digital platform enables them to optimize their farming business by making better decisions on nutrition, animal performance and animal welfare, whilst managing costs.
Trouw Nutrition is looking for a Global Director Smart Farming to lead the development and commercialization of Trouw Nutrition’s precision nutrition solutions and digital platform, and the NutriOpt team. You will report directly to the Director of Innovation, and you will be offered an executive position that brings you at the forefront of precision nutrition and the future of digitalizing farming.
As Global Director Smart Farming you lead, steer and guide the NutriOpt team, consisting of 55 people. The team develops, implements, commercializes and maintains the precision nutrition platform and solutions. You should think of raw material forecasting solutions (NIR) that help farmers to mix the feed according to the exact needs of the animals, calculated by expert models, hence reducing feed waste.
You lead the department and the collaboration with other internal teams and external parties to ensure that they, in a joint effort, reach their goals successfully. You especially oversee and influence the development (mainly software) and commercialization of new innovations based on customer and market needs to facilitate that Trouw Nutrition becomes a market-leader in precision nutrition and digital farming solutions. This involves that you set the vision for NutriOpt and the digital business strategy, and you prioritize tasks and focus areas in accordance with this strategy. You also coach and guide the NutriOpt team to deliver in a matrix-based and cross-functionally organizational structure involving stakeholders from various teams in the headquarters and local operating companies.
Under your leadership as Global Director Smart Farming, you streamline the NutriOpt platform and enhance the user experience by improving the user interface so it is intuitive, fun and easy to use. You bring in perspective the end-user and a user-centric way of working and thinking, and you get the organization to embrace design thinking when it is at its best.
Furthermore, you act as a change agent within the organization, and you drive the change from a traditional animal feed business into a digital enabling business. As Global Director Smart Farming, you ensure that the whole organization embraces the digital age in farming – from global to local level. You make the organization understand and act upon new market trends by leading and setting the pace for the development and implementation of new digital solutions and digital business models. This involves that you get people to join the digital business transformation by clearly defining, explaining and showing what digital means in Trouw Nutrition.
- You have 8-12 years of experience from preferable the animal feed, animal pharma, livestock, farming industry;
- You have experience with smart farming at management level and therefore you know what’s relevant in the industry;
- You have a strong vision and know-how to implement this;
- You know how to apply design thinking in the development and commercialization efforts of user-centric and easy to use software/digital solutions
- You have a proven track record in developing and bringing digital solutions to market in a complex organizational matrix structure involving agile coaching and leadership;
- You have demonstrated experience with people management and leading teams and sub-teams with direct as well as indirect reports;
- You are a change agent that listens to and is able to inspire stakeholders in various functions and at different levels of the organization at the global HQ and in the local markets;
- You have MSc level degree in animal science, animal health, business administration or engineering with the ability to lead team members holding MSc and PhD level degrees;
- Fluent in English (writing and speaking) is mandatory;
- You are able to undertake international travel up to 30% of working time;
- You have knowledge of large scale platform, cloud-based solutions, NIR, sensors technology.
Amersfoort, The Netherlands – International travel 30%
- A competitive salary package and a healthy work-life balance;
- Challenging, varied and rewarding work;
- An open culture with accessible managers, an international and flexible work environment with clear communication.