Aardevo started in 2019 as a joint venture between KWS SAAT, a global player in seed breeding, and J.R. Simplot Company, one of the largest potato processors in the world. In Aardevo, the full focus lies on developing diploid hybrid potato varieties. With a growing international team, they are building on a program that has been under development since 2012. With hybrid breeding technology, their aim is to drastically accelerate the development of new potato varieties. From the head office in Nagele, located one hour north of Amsterdam, and their location in Boise, Idaho in the United States, Aardevo is working on a new future for potato breeding and cultivation.
As a quantitative geneticist, you make an essential contribution to the speed and efficiency of the hybrid potato activities by implementing a marker-based prediction approach (genomic selection) into the breeding pipeline. You shape the breeding strategy by designing and implementing robust statistical approaches and computational pipelines. Furthermore, you play a key role in the implementation of digital phenotyping. You work in close collaboration with the Aardevo breeding team as well as scientists at KWS and Simplot. Aardevo offers access to state-of-the-art lab technologies and diverse expertise in breeding, molecular biology, bioinformatics and data management. You lead a full-time scientist.
You are a pragmatic team player with a strong strategic and product-oriented mindset. Your passion is genetics and you enjoy, as critical thinker - diligent data analysis. You are keen to translate quantitative genetics into practical solutions that boost the efficiency of hybrid potato breeding.
- have a PhD in plant breeding, animal breeding or related field;
- have a strong background in quantitative genetics, statistics and breeding methodology;
- have demonstrable expertise with handling of large data sets (e.g. via R);
- Industry experience is a plus;
- Professional communication in English; Dutch would be an asset.
Nagele, The Netherlands
- A versatile job in an international team with diverse opportunities to develop your skills;
- Lots of room for personal growth within a growing enterprise;
- A good salary package including an attractive commuting allowance.