Aardevo started in 2019 as a joint venture between KWS SAAT, a global player in seed breeding, and J.R. Simplot Company, one of the largest potato processors in the world. In Aardevo, the full focus lies on developing diploid hybrid potato varieties. With a growing international team, they are building on a program that has been under development since 2012. With hybrid breeding technology, their aim is to drastically accelerate the development of new potato varieties. From the head office in Nagele, located one hour north of Amsterdam, and their location in Boise, Idaho in the United States, Aardevo is working on a new future for potato breeding and cultivation.
As a resistance breeder, you make an essential contribution to the growing hybrid potato breeding program by developing and implementing a powerful strategy to improve disease and pest resistance. You develop a variety of components with resistance to e.g. late blight. For this program, you identify resistance sources and optimize the introgression of these in our germplasm. You develop and improve assays to test resistance in the field and glasshouse. To achieve your goals, you interact closely with the breeding team at Aardevo, and you have access to state-of-the-art technologies at both KWS and Simplot.
You are a pragmatic team player with a strategic and entrepreneurial mindset. You are pro-active, well organized, and you keep an eye on costs. You combine a passion for breeding with expertise in phytopathology and resistances.
- Obtained an Msc or PhD in plant breeding, agronomy or biology;
- Have a strong background in quantitative genetics and breeding methodology;
- Have experience in the layout of field and greenhouse trials, solid base in phytopathology;
- Industry experience is a plus;
- Professional written and verbal communication in English; Dutch would be an asset.
Nagele, The Netherlands
- An exciting job at the interface of research and product development in a growing enterprise;
- Lots of room for personal growth within an international team;
- A good salary package including an attractive commuting allowance.