Wageningen Food & Biobased Research (WFBR) develops insights and technologies that support industries, governments, and research institutes to create innovative solutions for a healthier, more sustainable, and prosperous world. Together with their clients they develop healthy and tasty food, truly-sustainable food chains, and chemicals and materials that use biomass instead of fossil resources. Their in-depth knowledge of the entire chain, from raw materials through processing to end product, drives their approach. WFBR is divided in two business units working closely together: Fresh, Food and Chains (FFC) with approx. 125 experts and Biobased Products (BBP) with approx. 85 experts.
Wageningen Food & Biobased Research is one of the Contract Research Organizations of Wageningen University & Research, with the aim to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. With approximately 30 locations, 5,000 members of staff and 10,000 students, Wageningen University & Research is a world leader in its domain. An integral way of working, and cooperation between the exact sciences and the technological and social disciplines are key to its approach.
As business development manager you connect the world-leading knowledge of 250 colleagues of Wageningen Food & Biobased Research, working in the area of food, nutrition, consumer science, agro logistics, postharvest technology and food informatics to the needs of the customers by making valuable project propositions. You will be primarily responsible for the (food)ingredient market and have a relevant network in this global market segment.
As business developer, you are responsible for acquiring and organizing new projects to further grow the project portfolio sustainably.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Create and follow-up on leads with industrial customers;
- Consult with the experts of WFBR, translate societal and business needs into new high value project propositions and write research project proposals to expand the sustainable project portfolio;
- Build consortia of various international customers to work collectively on large, game changing, research projects to allow partners to accelerate innovation and product development and get access to the latest technologies;
- Manage the process to discuss and agree with customers the commercial terms of the related collaboration agreements and get these signed in close collaboration with the legal and financial experts of WFBR;
- Develop and maintain a relevant international business network to build and expand the brand name of WUR in general and WFBR in particular to create a market leading position in selected areas.
You are an expert with a result-oriented and entrepreneurial attitude with strong networking skills and a high energy level. And through your well-developed organisational awareness and excellent communication skills you are able to sell ideas both internally and externally.
- You understand the language of the (food) ingredients world;
- You have relevant background knowledge in ingredients;
- You obtained a Masters degree or equivalent;
- You are an excellent communicator and listener;
- You have the ability to connect partners in complex situations;
- You are able to speak and write excellent English. An additional language (e.g. German, Spanish, French) is preferred.
- A job that will challenge you every day to provide clients with the best possible solution;
- An ambitious team working on a wide range of issues with plenty of scope for initiative;
- Personal input and responsibility are an integral part of the culture;
- A salary at market rates;
- Favourable study arrangements.
Want to know more about working here? Read the interview!