Topigs Norsvin is a leading pig genetics company and renowned for its innovative approach to implementing new technologies and having a continuous focus on cost-efficient pig production. Research, innovation and dissemination of genetic improvement are the cornerstones of the company. Continuous and strong product improvement will enable clients to achieve significant added value in their production. Topigs Norsvin employs around 700 employees in more than 40 countries around the globe. For more info see www.topigsnorsvin.com.
Topigs Norsvin works according to the European EFABAR code of conduct, demonstrating its commitment to sustainability and ensuring that issues such as food safety, the environment, genetic diversity, animal health and animal welfare are taken into account.
As Research Manager, you will be responsible for preparing, developing, supporting and evaluating research programs. You will ensure the objectives for research and development will be achieved as efficiently and effective as possible. The realisation of specific departmental objectives will be handled in a project-based way; aligning priorities and results with employees of other departments such as IT, Genetics, Support and Technical Administration.
As Research Manager, you will be responsible for the daily management of the department, working closely together with the Research Director. You will ensure optimal occupation and monitoring of projects. You stimulate the members of your team in their personal development, know how to connect people and create a positive working environment. And above all you will contribute to a strong research department that is ready for a dynamic future.
About half of your time you are expected to do heavy duty analyses and problem crunching, which might lead to problem solutions or to new projects.
The philosophy of the Department of Research Topigs Norsvin is based on a model where pork production is supported by genetic improvement. The pork chain is built up from genetics and genomics, reproduction, feed and feeding, robustness and welfare, and carcass and meat quality. This means 5 research themes, cooperatively approached by Topigs Norsvin. Several projects are undertaken as part of Breed4Food.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preparing, developing, supporting and evaluating projects;
- Determine, drafting and calculating budget for Research department;
- Taking care of implementation and execution of objectives;
- Coordination and supervision of your team of professionals;
- Good collaboration with other departments within the Topigs Norsvin organization;
- Coordination of Topigs Norsvin's participation in Breed4Food;
- Genetic, genomic, and statistical analyses of pork chain problems.
- Preferably a Master degree in genetics, genomics or quantitative approach of animal data. A PhD in any of these fields is a big plus;
- Affinity with pig production or other production animals - A vision on the latest trends and the quality of research delivery and proactive in staying up-to-date with the current trends;
- Strong people skills and the ability to work collaboratively and partner with employees, leaders, clients, and vendors;
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities;
- Business fluent in Dutch and English, both verbal and written;
- 5 to 8 years research experience, with project management;
- Proven skills with the ability to educate and mentor team members.
Beuningen, Gelderland, The Netherlands
- Working in a people oriented, international and dynamic culture;
- Exposure, due to the multitude of contacts within organisations in different cultures all over the world;
- Development of personal skills and knowledge, due to a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities;
- Excellent working conditions (primary & secondary).